Looking after your new Tattoo
Tattooing causes an injury which disturbs the integrity of the skin and creates an entry portal for microorganisms. A fresh tattoo completed in hygienic conditions on clean and healthy skin can be considered as an uncomplicated superficial wound. Good aftercare will promote fast healing and reduce the risk of infections.
In order to help ensure a rapid & full healing process for your tattoo, please follow the directions below fully & carefully for the entire duration of the healing process. These directions are somewhat generalised, for more detailed directions & advice or if you have any adverse reactions, you should contact your tattooist immediately.
- Leave the Clingfilm on for 4-12 hours.
- Wash your hands well then remove the Clingfilm.
- Immediately after removing Clingfilm, gently wash your tattoo using only your fingertips, (do not use a facecloth, sponge etc, until the tattoo has completely healed) with a good quality un-fragranced liquid soap and cool to lukewarm water (cool water is less likely to stimulate fresh bleeding). Rinse the area thoroughly.
- Allow the tattoo to dry naturally in the air (for about 10 minutes), or pat it dry with a fresh, clean towel – do not wipe or rub it dry.
- Apply a very light film of Easytattoo® TATTOO CREAM (or other aftercare product as recommended by your tattooist), rub it into the skin completely and pat away any excess remaining on the surface of the skin.
- Re-cover the tattoo with a new piece of Clingfilm.
- Wash and re-bandage the tattoo (using steps 2-6 above) 2 or 3 times daily for 4 days. (Always ensure that your hands are freshly washed when cleaning the tattoo)
- After the first 4 days you should stop covering the tattoo with Clingfilm and should stop using Easytattoo® TATTOO CREAM. Instead use a good quality fragrance-free moisturising lotion, such as E-45, five times daily. Apply a very light film of the lotion, rub it into the skin completely and pat away any excess remaining on the surface of the skin.
- You should continue to treat your new tattoo in this way for about 2-3 weeks, or until the tattoo has stopped flaking and is no longer dry and shiny.
- Applying an ice pack to the new tattoo helps to reduce swelling and inhibits the secretion of body fluids. These fluids can cause heavier scabbing, making further care more difficult.